Friday, April 13, 2007

Getting Started

My students have to keep track of the books they read for part of their reading grade. Every summer, I faithfully keep track of everything I read in order to model how to do it. Then, I lose the paper and stop keeping track. I've seen several other people keep track on blogs, so I think I will give it a try. The genre and rating are things I also make my students do.

The title of this blog came from a shirt I had when I was younger. I was one of those kids who would take their books with when the family went to dinner at a restaurant, and I would be reading it in my lap the whole time.

I was on vacation this past week, so these are the books read:

Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol
Genre: Nonfiction, Education Rating (out of 10): 8
This book speaks volumes about the differences in public education across the country. It is alarming and depressing at the same time. I will have more commentary about this book after I complete an independent study (about this book and others) this spring term. I'll be reading it two more times.

Nothing But the Truth by Avi
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Documentary Rating (out of 10): 10
Avi is my favorite children's literature author. He writes books aimed for upper elementary to middle school kids. This book is the story of a student who was suspended from school for, supposedly, singing the national anthem during announcements. It is written in a documentary style, and I'm trying to figure out if my fifth-graders could handle it. Avi did a great job of leaving the reader to pick up the pieces and find meaning in this book.

People Magazine
Genre: Magazine, Current Events? Rating (out of 10): 4
This was laying around the house in Las Vegas. I have to admit, I enjoy catching up on the lives of celebrities every once in awhile.

No comments: