Sunday, February 10, 2008

Nothing to Write Home About

Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History by Richard Shenkman
Genre: History, Revisionist History Rating: (out of 10): 5
This is the only book I've read for fun recently. Parts of it were very interesting, such as Harvard's way of ranking students (based on wealth). Overall, there wasn't anything earth-shattering in this book, and instead of breadth I would have preferred a little more depth on the stories.

The Chalice and the Blade by Riane Eisler
Genre: History, Women's Studies Rating: (out of 10): 8
So I am taking a class called EcoFeminism... a woman's studies class was required for my master's and I have been dreading it. We have to read 5 books, this being the first. I loved this one! How to describe it... its thesis is that before recorded history, women and men were equal in most societies. After that, things went downhill... This book made me think and I enjoyed that.

First Fieldwork: The Misadventures of an Anthropologist by Barbara Gallatin Anderson
Genre: Anthropology Rating: (out of 10): 8
Another book for a (different) class. This was a quick read, and it was easy to get a good feel for what anthropologists do and what their time in the field is like.

No comments: