Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Last of Fun Reading for a Bit...

Two more classes start next week... I received the syllabus for one of them today and it looks like I'll be quite busy for the next month with reading for that...

The Wright 3
by Blue Balliett

Genre: Realistic Fiction, Children's lit. Rating: (out of 10): 9
Chasing Vermeer was a popular book by this author in the recent past, and he followed up with another good one. I like this book because it has ties to many subjects, many more than just reading. For example, Fibonacci's sequence and pentominoes are major players in the storyline (math), and architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright) also plays a major role. The students have a fun, out-of-the-box teacher, and they are believable characters who have personal struggles such as jealousy and selfishness. It is a long book, but it has short chapters. I'll try to find a way to work it in for this upcoming year.

Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Children's Lit. Rating: (out of 10): 7
Two orphans have had a tough, tough life. They have spent most of their time with an abusive set of foster parents. They are taken in for the summer by a wonderful older couple who treat them well and let them have the types of experiences all kids should have. It's a wonderful story, with short chapters. Another teacher is using it to train his kids in how to have book clubs. I am not sure if all of my kids will be able to read it on their own... I may need to find another book to use.

I can't write worth anything tonight.

No comments: