Tuesday, June 19, 2007

School Books

Say What? by Margaret Petersen Haddix
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Children's lit. (out of 10): 8
I have enjoyed several other books by Margaret Petersen Haddix for older readers, specifically her Among the Hidden series. I am working on boning up my collection of lower-level books for my students, and this book is written at a third-grade level. It was a very cute story about kids whose parents try a nontraditional technique to get their behavior in line.

The Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Needs of All Learners by Carol Ann Tomlinson
Genre: Nonfiction, education (out of 10): 9
My spring class is on differentiated instruction, and this is the text. It is a wonderful book. I had previous knowledge of DI and had tried to implement it, but it all makes sense now that I've read the book. Chapter nine, particularly, is wonderful for making it seem like differentiation is doable for all teachers. Personally, I think that for public education to survive, teachers need to become differentiators on a large scale.

No comments: