Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Summer Reading

Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas & Micah Sparks
Genre: Memoir (out of 10): 9
This is a book that spoke to me. I need to own it. I haven't read much (none that I can remember) of Nicholas Sparks in the past. I viewed him as a writer of romance novels, and never picked up any of his books. In the book he writes about his life and growing up in his family. He and his brother have faced some hard times, but the part of the book that spoke to me the most was about his propensity to work too hard and let life pass him by. Throughout the course of the book, his brother tries to get him to lighten up and see what is important about life. The way he describes himself and his attitudes reminded me exactly of myself.

Through Ebony Eyes: What Teachers Need to Know But Are Afraid to Ask About African-American Students by Gail Thompson
Genre: Nonfiction, Education (out of 10): 4
I was very disappointed in this book. I had hoped for some practical, useful strategies and techniques. The book was an overview of different issues facing African-American students, and I got very little from it that I hadn't already learned from my own experience. There are many recommended books to read, and also a guide for professional development. The plan sounds good, but is lengthy, and I don't know that I have the time to complete it.

Pretty Woman by Fern Michaels
Genre: Romance, realistic fiction (out of 10): 4 (for being a great vacation book)
I read this book in an evening at the family cottage. It was a perfect book to relax with- and I can't even say I remember all of what it was about... a woman whose husband was a jerk, she left him, got a personal trainer, lost a bunch of weight and married the personal trainer... In all honesty, it was much more well-written than it sounds, although not realistic and very predictable.

No comments: